TankNutDave's Armour Discussion Forums

Welcome to TankNutDave's Forums where Armour enthusiasts from all over the world can come to discuss and chat about Tanks and other Armoured vehicles !

T-72 Vs Chieftan

Poll

Would the Russian T-72 outbox the Uk's Chieftain in this months battle of the Titans.

[ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 4 ]
    100% [100%] 

Total Votes: 4

T-72 Vs Chieftan

Post  2ndTankie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:47 pm

These two tanks never met in combat. What would the outcome be on the planes of eastern Germany.

Last edited by 2ndTankie on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Re: T-72 Vs Chieftan

Post  2ndTankie on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:33 pm

Some T-72 Action

Post  2ndTankie on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:38 pm

Bisley_Bob
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Post  Bisley_Bob on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:06 am

One on one i'd say Chieftan, its gun is stabilised and it has the finest of crews! On the other hand, if the Russian tank divisions had poured over the boarder i don't think we would have had nearly enough to stop them.

Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:55 pm

in this case it depends on the model and scenario Against a T-72A,B,M,or S i would say the Chiefton but if it was the T-72BM (same thing as a T-90 basically) i would go with that. Also 1 Chiefton vs hundreds of T-72s aren't going to stand a chance

Post  2ndTankie on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:51 am

Yes i agree if the ruskies did roll over the boarder we would of been a lil screwed !. I think we should go for 1 vS 1 and disregard crews. Major benefits the chieftain had firing on the move and a very accurate rifles gun static. anyone care to comment for the T72?

Post  KampfpanzerKommandant on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:21 pm

I may be wrong but didn't these two tanks meet in combat during the Iran Iraq War, where IRIAA Chieftains took on Saddams's T72s (not Asad Babil, but apparently exported T72s)? However, there's so much haze surrounding the Iran Iraq War that I think I may be wrong.

In either case, I think Chieftain would have had the advantage. It's gun was certainly more accurate and it was definitely better protected. The much higher rate of fire, lower profile, and speed of the T72 would have made it a threat but I think Chieftain would have had better quality armor and definitely fired better quality ammunition then the T72 did, which I think would have gave it an edge.

Post  TankNutDave on Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:01 pm

KampfpanzerKommandant wrote:I may be wrong but didn't these two tanks meet in combat during the Iran Iraq War, where IRIAA Chieftains took on Saddams's T72s (not Asad Babil, but apparently exported T72s)? However, there's so much haze surrounding the Iran Iraq War that I think I may be wrong.

In either case, I think Chieftain would have had the advantage. It's gun was certainly more accurate and it was definitely better protected. The much higher rate of fire, lower profile, and speed of the T72 would have made it a threat but I think Chieftain would have had better quality armor and definitely fired better quality ammunition then the T72 did, which I think would have gave it an edge.

Yes the Cheiftain did go up against the T-72 in the war, how ever it was the inferior export model, the T-72M, where as were talking about the Russian T-72 Laughing

Post  2ndTankie on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:37 am

TankNutDave wrote:
    KampfpanzerKommandant wrote:I may be wrong but didn't these two tanks meet in combat during the Iran Iraq War, where IRIAA Chieftains took on Saddams's T72s (not Asad Babil, but apparently exported T72s)? However, there's so much haze surrounding the Iran Iraq War that I think I may be wrong.

Yes the Cheiftain did go up against the T-72 in the war, how ever it was the inferior export model, the T-72M, where as were talking about the Russian T-72 Laughing

How did that fair up dave ?

Post  TankNutDave on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:48 pm

2ndTankie wrote:
    TankNutDave wrote:

How did that fair up dave ?

My source (you know whom I talking about) said the cheiftains that were taken out was mostly by air attack or ATM's. He said the Chieftain faired well against the 125mm cannon. He Also said Iran used various Mk's.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:06 pm