TankNutDave's Armour Discussion Forums

Welcome to TankNutDave's Forums where Armour enthusiasts from all over the world can come to discuss and chat about Tanks and other Armoured vehicles !

Merkava hit by an RPG-29

Merkava hit by an RPG-29

Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Just a pic of a Israeli Merkava 4 MBT hit by russians main ATM the RPG-29

[url=

Re: Merkava hit by an RPG-29

Post  TankNutDave on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:17 am

Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:00 pm

[url=

Post  2ndTankie on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:02 am

<---- Not convinced that was an RPG29.... king queen

wilmet
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Post  wilmet on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:52 am

pretty big ding there. Shocked I'm with 2ndTankie on this, we sure that wasn't a Kornet?

Luckily for the IDF, the more modern ATGM were sparcer than the older stuff (and/or iranian knock offs of older stuff) in Hezzbolah's arsenal.

Wonder how other western tanks would have done in such a conflict (different strategies et all)...

Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:04 pm

it is possible it could be a Kornet i'd have to look into it more. although there is a confirmed report of a RPG-29 attack on a challenger 2 and took off 3 off the drivers toes.

Post  2ndTankie on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Again exceptional circumstances and a very very lucky shot.

Ricochet and detonated underneath the glacias place, Causing a tiny amount of frag inside the drivers cab. The QRH lad is ok... (think it was 2 toes)

king queen

Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:09 pm

yes i also believe it was after that they began fitting the C2 with the Dorchestor armor. wonder how a RPG-29 would do against the Frontal arc against a C2 with Dorchestor. my money would be the Chally 2

Post  2ndTankie on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Yeah the New "TOW" or "Toe" as we called it, armour on the front would most likely deflect/slow down any warhead and its explosive charge enough for the tanks core armour to stop it. The "thing" is a good 2tf thick ! and bastard heavy !

Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 pm

2 foot thick? damn the thickest I've heard of the Abrams is 1.5 feet thick. a HEAT round against 2nd Gen Chobham wouldn't have a chance.

Post  2ndTankie on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:27 pm

thats just the Addon TOW... least not forget the CR2 has come from COLD WAR design and built to sit in a shell scrape and take hits all day long.. Hence the thickest and best armour is on the front.

king queen

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:06 pm