TankNutDave's Armour Discussion Forums

Welcome to TankNutDave's Forums where Armour enthusiasts from all over the world can come to discuss and chat about Tanks and other Armoured vehicles !

M26 vs the Tiger

Poll

M26 vs Tiger

[ 2 ]
    50% [50%] 
    [ 2 ]
    50% [50%] 

Total Votes: 4

M26 vs the Tiger

Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:46 pm

which would win the fight the American M26 Pershing or the German Tiger

Re: M26 vs the Tiger

Post  TankNutDave on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:49 pm

The M26 was too little to late, the first time it went up against a Tiger , it was knocked out killing a number of the crew in the Elsdorfer surprise.

Post  TankNutDave on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:53 pm

Saw this and thought it was funny!! lol (and I do know its a King Tiger)

Post  2ndTankie on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:38 am

Ah Company of Heroes... Uber game.... Twisted Evil

Post  KampfpanzerKommandant on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:29 pm

Depends on situation

Post by KampfpanzerKommandant Today at 12:23 am
    I actually posted a thread about this on www.panzerace.net. It's a site made by a British guy dedicated to "Tiger Ace" Michael Wittmann. It's a pretty cool site, and please note just because it was made as a tribute to the member of the Waffen SS does not make it a Neo Nazi hording ground. It's a site dedicated to an amazing and respectable tank commander, not a Nazi martyr. The guys who run it are pretty damn smart as are the people who are on it, and this is what I've gotten from my thread on the site.

Both tanks were pretty evenly matched, especially when it came to armor. It all depended down to two things. Are you taking either tank into an offensive situation, or a defensive situation.

Defensively the Tiger I would have definitely had the edge. The superior German optics of the time allowed the Tiger to aim at targets that were over 2km away, while the Pershing's max range for it's optics was about 1.3km. Also the KWK 88mm L/39 main gun's main armor piercing round had more firepower and greater range then that of the Pershing's.

However, on the offensive the Pershing was clearly a superior tank. The Pershing, despite being a bit slow compared to other Allied tanks, was faster then the Tiger I and weighed a full seven tons less. So despite being a heavyweight, it would have been able to move faster and better over terrain that Tigers would frequently get stuck in. The same suspension system and engine used in the Sherman tank were used in the Pershing, and although they weren't the best option in the world because of the Pershing's weight, it definitely helped out.

Pershing was also a much easier tank to service then the Tiger I one was, and if it entered service earlier it would have definitely outproduced the Tiger I and Tiger II as well. It is rumored that if they had come into service earlier, there would be five Pershings for every Tiger produced.

According to John Lee Erwin, who has the only eye witness account of a Pershing crew that he was part of (dig his book Another River, Another Town), the Germans did indeed see the Pershing as a respectable opponent when in the right hands. Knowing that it was equal in some ways and superior in other ways to their own tanks, coupled with the tenacity of Allied tankers and their innovative tactics to overcome the shortcomings of their own machines, Irwin reports that some Waffen SS tankers who had come up against the Pershing in their Tiger and Panther tanks considered a deadlier opponent then the Russian IS2. I would also think they must have done some good, for I believe American soldiers wouldn't have given them the Pershing the nickname "Tiger Tamer" for nothing.

* Edit/Delete this post
    * Delete this post

nightwish
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Post  nightwish on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:44 pm

Hmm 401 bad request error wont open that page

Post  KampfpanzerKommandant on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:44 pm

nightwish wrote:Hmm 401 bad request error wont open that page

http://www.panzerace.net/pz-forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1628

Here is the link to the exact thread. Also has some cool data related to the shells fired by both tanks and how their guns worked.

Post  2ndTankie on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:58 pm

When i was based in Fallingbostel in Germany ( an X SS panzer training camp). i saw a photo of Michael Wittmann standing outside my block which i then lived in ! MB52.. ill find the pic sometime. I beleive he done his Tiger conversion course there... Awesome commander.. however his Gunner bore the real talent king queen
    Bisley_Bob
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Post  Bisley_Bob on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:02 am

2ndTankie wrote:When i was based in Fallingbostel in Germany ( an X SS panzer training camp). i saw a photo of Michael Wittmann standing outside my block which i then lived in ! MB52.. ill find the pic sometime. I beleive he done his Tiger conversion course there... Awesome commander.. however his Gunner bore the real talent king queen

That's pretty cool.
    Maybe some of the guys he worked with are still sealed under the drill square in their underground bunker with their panzers! What a rumour eh!

yank tank gets my vote. Extra mobility is such an important factor for these overweight beasts.

Post  2ndTankie on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:37 am

Funny you should say that, All the blocks where linked with underground tunnels and bunker systems.... What a mystery ! lol king queen

Post  KampfpanzerKommandant on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:43 am

2ndTankie wrote:When i was based in Fallingbostel in Germany ( an X SS panzer training camp). i saw a photo of Michael Wittmann standing outside my block which i then lived in ! MB52.. ill find the pic sometime. I beleive he done his Tiger conversion course there... Awesome commander.. however his Gunner bore the real talent king queen

You mean Balthasar "Bobby" Woll. He was an amazing gunner, the first and I believe only gunner in WW2 to receive some kind of major recognition. He later became a Tiger commander himself, but he always was sidelined more to being Wittmann's gunner then anything else.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:24 am