TankNutDave's Armour Discussion Forums

Welcome to TankNutDave's Forums where Armour enthusiasts from all over the world can come to discuss and chat about Tanks and other Armoured vehicles !

Mastiff, Guard dog or sausage dog?

Mastiff, Guard dog or sausage dog?

Post  2ndTankie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:47 pm

Mastiff is a heavily armoured, 6 x 6 wheel-drive patrol vehicle derived from the Cougar (USA) that has been bought and heavily modified to suit the British army's needs and requirements in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I think this is the supreme patrol vehicle primarily designed to save lives. It has a very high survivability record and is loved by the Coalition forces and feared by the Taliban. When performing a role previously taken by a Warrior or Snatch landrover the Mastiff presents a much less aggressive and dominant vehicle allowing it to interact and support dismounted troops. Do you feel that the hearts and minds aspect and the locals perception of a vehicle should matter when it comes to protection for our forces ?.

With a maximum speed of 90 kph (restricted) Mastiff can be armed with a 7.62 general purpose machine gun, 50 mm canon or 40 mm automatic grenade launcher clearly providing a mighty punch on the battlefield.

Last edited by 2ndTankie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bisley_Bob
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Re: Mastiff, Guard dog or sausage dog?

Post  Bisley_Bob on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:22 pm

In comparison to the Panther this looks the mutts nuts, from what i've heard about them i'd be happy to cut about the sand pit in one, although my first choice would of course be a Chally!

Post  2ndTankie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:24 pm

Yeah Falcon 2RTR have nothing but praise. Undoubtedly without mastiff they all might not have returned. Its good to see the army taking a piece of kit and developing it to suit our needs and cutting no corners when it comes to Crew protection.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:06 pm