TankNutDave's Armour Discussion Forums

Welcome to TankNutDave's Forums where Armour enthusiasts from all over the world can come to discuss and chat about Tanks and other Armoured vehicles !

Is the Panther the armys answer to a replacement for CVR(T)

Is the Panther the armys answer to a replacement for CVR(T)

Post  2ndTankie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:42 pm

While the CVR(T) variants have provided us with many platforms and diverse command and control vehicles the British Army will receive 401 Panther Command and Liaison Vehicles by the end of the summer. Is it wise replacing a CVR(T) Spartan which can sport up to 6 crew members with a 3 man Armoured landrover?

I think we will need a larger more upgradable and adaptable platform. Rumors that the Panther is at its max axle weight and that no Extra Armour or theater specific electronics can be added thus making this vehicle un-deployable.

Bisley_Bob
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Re: Is the Panther the armys answer to a replacement for CVR(T)

Post  Bisley_Bob on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:17 pm

No brainer really. As usual it's a completely useless piece of kit pushed through by the retarded guy at procurement, who they were forced to employ because of equality and diversity laws. Also, why would a (for example) FR regiment deploy this piece of tat over their Spartans? Their logistical chain would need to try and fly a whole new line of spares into theatre, the commonality of parts between CVR(T) is in my opinion, a big plus point.
    I have heard talk of it not being mine resistant too. Is this the case? If so what a joke. The money would have been much better spent flying whores out to the FOBs in Afghanistan to raise a bit of morale.

wilmet
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Post  wilmet on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:31 pm

I thought the replacement for the entire CVR(T) family was going to come with the new FRES? That would be under the FRES Scout line no?
    Last I heard of FRES Scout version was that they were considering CV-90s or Ascod II, the latter having the advantage of having numerous bits and pieces in common with the Piranha V chosen for FRES UV as built by the same company. Since FRES UV has gone tits up for now though...

I have heard talk of it not being mine resistant too. Is this the case?

Heard it was STANAG 3 level protection, there's some pics kicking about the interweb of an italian one that drove over a mine in Afghanistan: the entire front left side was blown off but the crew escaped with minor injuries.

wilmet
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Post  wilmet on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 am

there's some pics kicking about the interweb of an italian one that drove over a mine in Afghanistan

And here we have it: Italian Iveco LMV, post IED...all onboard survived, though I dunno in what state.

https://redcdn.net/ihimizer/img410/5416/1000187ud8ig4.jpg

Post  takedownroddy on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:38 am

Is this really the replacement for CVR(T)? I cant see how this could operate in the same role- it seems to me like it would be better suited replacing the WMIC.
    Bisley_Bob
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Post  Bisley_Bob on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:46 am

They have a replacement for the WMIK. The Jackal.

Post  takedownroddy on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:01 am

What an ugly vehicle lol... still, it looks considerably better protected than WMIK, and a little more intimidating too.

wilmet
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Post  wilmet on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:34 am

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:06 pm