TankNutDave's Armour Discussion Forums

Welcome to TankNutDave's Forums where Armour enthusiasts from all over the world can come to discuss and chat about Tanks and other Armoured vehicles !


    Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Share

    Poll

    Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    [ 1 ]
    33% [33%] 
    [ 2 ]
    67% [67%] 

    Total Votes: 3

    Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  2ndTankie on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:16 am

    While the German Leo2 was already becoming a success on the import market the Russian T-80's where greeted with many upgrades and modifications.

    The biggest upgrade saw the T-80 equipped with new composite armour and the added protection of ERA (Explosive Reactive Armour).

    This led many to believe that the L44 on the Leo lacked that punch and lethality to combat the later model T-80's.

    The Latest T-80u boasts a massive 125mm KBA3 smoothbore gun capable of firing AT-11 Sniper missiles and Refleks (AT-11B Sniper) with an operational range of 4000m out to 6000m

    Clearly this added combat range and agility would give an advantage for this 50 Tonne Tank But would the Leopard2 A4's new and improved turret with flat titanium/tungsten armour and complex digital fire control systems be able to silence the gas turbines of the "Ob'yekt's" ?
    avatar
    Bisley_Bob
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  Bisley_Bob on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:43 am

    Does the T-80 have a stabilised gun? That in my opinion is such a huge factor in a tank's capabilities.

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  2ndTankie on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:13 pm

    Yes the T-80 does have a stabilized gun abet probably less advanced and precise than the LEO's which i think is a major factor as Russian tactics favor speed and rapid advances in superior numbers. I will go for the T80 as it has that much more reach with its AT missiles than the LEO's HEAT/SABOT.

    E-man 122
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

    Leopard wins

    Post  E-man 122 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:49 pm

    I'm going to have the Leopard would have to win.the new L55 gun has a range of nearly 4Km even with the with T80 tank the Leopard wouldn't have to move very fast get in range. Also the German Leopard is capable of be customized for nearly any battlefield situation. The T-80 isn't as flexible and doesn't have access to the new NATO types of ammunition which has proven more effective then what the russians are using

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  2ndTankie on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:43 am

    E-man 122 wrote:the new L55 gun has a range of nearly 4Km

    The A4 uses the L44, And Sadly as far as im aware no direct trajectory round (a round that isnt fired in an Arch, lob) can reach out to 4KM. which means the HEAT and SABOT that the LEO fires fall short of that. AT or HESH can reach out and past 4KM

    As for customisation a russian advance would be met by dug in tanks in tacticle blocking positions not rolling country side moving engagements which would render any mod to the LEO useless unless it was strapping washing machines on the front for extra armour. lol.

    My vote still goes with the 80

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:00 pm

    You must Also Remember that a M1A1 killed an Iraqi T-72M1 (possibly an asad babil) at 4750m although its no T-80 and not nearly as good as its russian counterparts a well trained crew can reach out to 4+ km with the L-44. Also for me it depends on the model of the T-80. if its a T-80UK or T-80UM2 then the T-80 is the winner if any other varient the Leopard 2A4

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  2ndTankie on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:29 pm

    Got any proof of this ? lol As you will find the Challenger 1 has the record for the longest tank to tank kill in the world...

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:37 pm

    I'll try to dig up some stuff about it, Although M1 tanks have said they've been able to accuratly hit Targets that far away for years. Also a MRM-CE hit and destroyed a moving drone T-72 and 8.6km away which i do actually have a pic of the T-72 as its getting hit

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  2ndTankie on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:40 pm

    M1A2AbramsSEP wrote:I'll try to dig up some stuff about it, Although M1 tanks have said they've been able to accuratly hit Targets that far away for years. Also a MRM-CE hit and destroyed a moving drone T-72 and 8.6km away which i do actually have a pic of the T-72 as its getting hit

    Host that shizzle

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:47 pm

    [url=]

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:49 pm

    Thers the T-72 getting hit, I also have a link about it that i can post.

    Also is anyone else having it where only have the picture is showing up?

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  2ndTankie on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:51 pm

    M1A2AbramsSEP wrote:Thers the T-72 getting hit, I also have a link about it that i can post.

    Also is anyone else having it where only have the picture is showing up?


    Half ?. No i can see everything,

    Try holding Ctrl and hitting F5, will refresh all pix Smile

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  M1A2AbramsSEP on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:53 pm

    ugh didn't work lol, my internet has being acting wierd for the past 3 days so i bet it has something to do with that lol, anyways if it doesn't fix soon i'll just restart and that should fix it.
    avatar
    Bisley_Bob
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  Bisley_Bob on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:20 pm

    2ndTankie wrote:Got any proof of this ? lol As you will find the Challenger 1 has the record for the longest tank to tank kill in the world...

    Went to school with that tank commander's son.

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  2ndTankie on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:22 pm

    Bisley_Bob wrote:
    2ndTankie wrote:Got any proof of this ? lol As you will find the Challenger 1 has the record for the longest tank to tank kill in the world...

    Went to school with that tank commander's son.

    haha Nice, QRIH ?
    avatar
    Bisley_Bob
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  Bisley_Bob on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:38 pm

    2ndTankie wrote:
    Bisley_Bob wrote:
    2ndTankie wrote:Got any proof of this ? lol As you will find the Challenger 1 has the record for the longest tank to tank kill in the world...

    Went to school with that tank commander's son.

    haha Nice, QRIH ?

    Sounds about right, it was some regiment that only just traded in their horses, I kind of switched off when the answer didn't contain the three magic letters, RTR!

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  2ndTankie on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:40 am

    Bisley_Bob wrote:
    2ndTankie wrote:
    Bisley_Bob wrote:
    2ndTankie wrote:Got any proof of this ? lol As you will find the Challenger 1 has the record for the longest tank to tank kill in the world...

    Went to school with that tank commander's son.

    haha Nice, QRIH ?

    Sounds about right, it was some regiment that only just traded in their horses, I kind of switched off when the answer didn't contain the three magic letters, RTR!

    Kudos to Bob ! king queen

    Sponsored content

    Re: Leopard 2 a4 Vs T-80

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am